Saturday, September 17, 2011

Daytime Diapering vs. Nighttime Diapering

Hannah gets a new diaper about 14 times per day, so I'm happy that she wiggles and giggles through these changes with glee. As long as the temperature is right, she never has a problem kicking back playfully during the swap. In the morning, if she falls asleep from nursing I use it as a chance to wake her up for a few minutes before her nap. Today she practically slept through the whole change!

Still, I talk to her about what I'm doing and try to interest her by using her sounds (gooo, argf, cu). She finally rose when she heard me blow a raspberry and then proceeded to make what I call "Dada faces" for a minute.

Then she blossomed right back into my loveable little girl and gratefully giggled after receiving her new diaper. I'm pretty sure that "ah goo" means "that feels much better Mama!"

When she's wide awake I'll play or sing to her because it makes her very talkative and smiley. The difference between early changes and late night changes are that the goal at night is to get her back to sleep as quickly as possible! I talk as little as possible- just enough to let her know she's getting a new diap. Then I turn on the small lamp to keep the lighting dim. (So that's what those $40 nursery lamps are for at Babies R Us!) The next step is to make it snappy! I use a wipe warmer for wipes in the evening because it's a little more soothing. At the end of it all she's usually much more relaxed, but I still stay to help her get to sleep. Sometimes a pacifier will help calm her, too. She's still waking up at night for diaper changes, so I'm planning to try a few different varieties over the next weeks to find out if there's one that's better for helping her stay asleep.

It's pretty amazing that she already has a unique cry to let me know she needs a new diaper. At first it was harder to distinguish her cries, but now that we're on more of a routine it's easy to tell what she needs. I'm excited to listen to what else she starts "telling" me in the next weeks as she becomes more aware of herself and her surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment